Saturday, November 21, 2009

Interview with “Fail Whale” artist, Yiying Lu


1) What was the inspiration for the whale and birds illustration?

It was initially created as a birthday e-card for an overseas friend of mine when I was in my last year study at University – expressing my: Sorry I am failed to be there across the ocean, but here is a little console from my heart. The whale is a self metaphor. Hence the original name I had for that artwork was “lifting a dreamer”.

2) Are you surprised by all the attention the ‘Fail Whale’ is receiving?

Actually, both Yes and No:

“Yes” because it was surprising how perfect my whale illustration fits twitter’s brand, and even more perfectly how the whale and the birds fit their “over capacity, too many tweets” usage – the huge whale being carried by the little birdies. Once it was in use, I guess it was not surprising that people would fall in love with the whale – he is really cute. That little image has been the most effective piece of damage control that company could have hoped for: turning a service interruption into a loveable thing! I am surprised how Biz Stone managed to find the image on iStockphoto among 3 million other images, but then that is how the universe works.

“No” because I’m confident with my artwork, as they are made from heart so it wasn’t surprising to see they bring the attention.

3) Will you continue to use stock photo web sites in the future? Would you recommend it to other artists?

I will reserve my comment about this for now. I am currently having a variety of discussions about the licensing of my works.

4) Which artists do you look to for inspiration?
Lots – René Magritte, Alan Fletcher, Saul Steinberg, Bruno Munari, Salvador Dalí, Shel Silverstein, Feng Zikai, Yoshida Sensya, Ito Junji and many more. Music Artists like Röyksopp, Air, the Buggles, Daft Punk and so on..

No comments:

Post a Comment